Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.
Audio/Video content is available on latest generation Kindle Fire (except 1st generation), Kindle Fire HD, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices. All other devices receive text only.
Buy the third book in this popular trilogy for $2.99 today.
Click here to purchase Mockingjay
Exciting Kindle Updates
Last week Amazon announced a software update for some Kindle e-readers that includes exclusive features such as Word Wise and Family Library.
• Word Wise–For readers learning English and children learning to read, Word Wise makes it easier to understand more challenging books more quickly. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading without having to stop and look up a word. To see the various meanings the same word can have in different contexts, just tap on the word to quickly bring up a card with definitions, synonyms, and more. You can adjust the number of definitions you see with a slider, dialing them up or down as you learn and grow your vocabulary. Word Wise is already available on thousands of titles, including these young adult novels: The Hunger Games and Wonder. See a screenshot here.
The snippet on the left shows where you can look for books with the Word Wise feature. See the designation on the last line of the graphic?
• Family Library–For the first time, you can access not only your own Kindle books, but also books from the Amazon account of a spouse or partner. See a screenshot here.
• Expanded X-Ray for Books–X-Ray now makes it easier to explore as you read–quickly flip through all the images in a book, and use the new timeline view to easily browse the most notable passages. See a screenshot here.
• Deeper Goodreads Integration–Goodreads on Kindle now allows you to easily share your reading progress updates, add books from your Kindle library to your Goodreads shelves, and see your friends’ updates, ratings and reviews when looking at a book on Goodreads. See a screenshot here.
• Enhanced Search–Makes it even easier to find what you are looking for by combining and previewing results from your Library, Goodreads and the Kindle Store on the same page. See a screenshot here.
• About This Book–See information about the book as you start to read, including its place in a series and author information, plus mark it as “Currently Reading” on Goodreads. See a screenshot here.
The free, over-the-air software update will be delivered automatically in the coming weeks to the newly announced $79 Kindle and Kindle Voyage, as well as the most recent version of Kindle Paperwhite. If you want the update now, visit this page to download the it.
Black Friday Countdown Deals begin tomorrow
Black Friday deals will start even earlier this year at Amazon, beginning on Friday, November 21, and adding new deals as often as every ten minutes for eight straight days. Plus, Amazon will introduce three coveted Deals of the Day starting on Thanksgiving at midnight, as well as three more on BlackFriday – this is in addition to thousands of limited-time Lightning Deals. You can catch all the deals at Black Friday. You might want to bookmark the webpage.
The Big Deal Sale ends Sunday, November 23. More than 400 books are included in the sale. Three popular books are:
Silk Road ($1.99) The Holy Land, 1260. Josseran Sarrazini is chosen to escort the Pope’s emissary on an embassy to the all conquering Mongol horde in an effort to save all Christendom form destruction. But although he serves as a Templar warrior, Josseran is not all that he appears to be – and he despises the Pope’s man on sight.
Critical Dawn ($1.99) Critical Dawn is an apocalyptic ride to the very edge of human existence. Factions will battle for control of the Earth—if they can avoid the threat of extinction.
See Her Die ($1.99) Elizabeth Young is FBI agent Collin MacBride’s prime suspect in the murder of a prominent Manhattan psychiatrist—the one and only lead in an ongoing investigation. But when female patients of the late doctor start being murdered one by one, Elizabeth understands that she is on that same murder list and MacBride is the only man who can save her…
Move over Star Wars! This is a superb space opera.
Humans and hybrids and strange new creatures fight for survival on Earth and across the galaxies. In our future worlds the Administration rules the Sphere of Humankind, the Games Board sanctions and funds wars and conflicts, and the Haulers’ Collective roams the space routes like the caravanners of old.
Marko and his crew of fellow soldier-engineers are sent to investigate an unknown planet. When they encounter strange artefacts and an intelligent but aggressive squid species, they are forced to embark on a perilous journey far from the Sphere. They will have to survive not only other alien encounters but also their own Administration’s deadly manipulations. Political factions and galactic media moguls vie for power … and money.
Buy this sci-fi adventure for $1.99 today.
Click here to purchase Burnt Ice
The last thing Kyra Agnew remembers is a flash of bright light. She awakes to discover that five whole years have passed. Everyone in her life has moved on—her parents divorced, her boyfriend is in college and dating her best friend—but Kyra’s still the sixteen-year-old she was when she vanished.
She finds herself drawn to Tyler, her boyfriend’s kid brother, despite her best efforts to ignore her growing attraction. In order to find out the truth, the two of them decide to retrace her steps from that fateful night. They discover there are others who have been “taken,” just like Kyra. Only, Kyra is the first person to have been returned past the forty-eight-hour taken mark.
With a determined, secret government agency after her, Kyra desperately tries to find an explanation and reclaim the life she once had . . . but what if the life she wants back is not her own?
Purchase this sci-fi novel today for $1.99 as it is the B&N price match.
Click here to purchase The Taking
The Waverleys have always been a curious family, endowed with peculiar gifts that make them outsiders even in their hometown of Bascom, North Carolina. Even their garden has a reputation, famous for its feisty apple tree that bears prophetic fruit, and its edible flowers, imbued with special powers. Generations of Waverleys tended this garden.
A successful caterer, Claire Waverley prepares dishes made with her mystical plants. Meanwhile, her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear. They are the last of the Waverleys—except for Claire’s rebellious sister, Sydney, who fled Bascom the moment she could, abandoning Claire, as their own mother had years before.
When Sydney suddenly returns home with a young daughter of her own, Claire’s quiet life is turned upside down—along with the protective boundary she has so carefully constructed around her heart. Together again in the house they grew up in, Sydney takes stock of all she left behind, as Claire struggles to heal the wounds of the past. And soon the sisters realize they must deal with their common legacy—if they are ever to feel at home in Bascom—or with each other.
Enchanting and heartfelt, this captivating novel is sure to cast a spell with a style all its own….Buy it today for $1.99. Audiobook: $4.49.
Click here to purchase Garden Spells
Olivia Moreland has forever denied the possibility of clairvoyant abilities, working instead to discredit the mediums that flock to London. But when Lord Stephen St. Leger requests her help in investigating an alleged psychic’s claims, she can’t deny the ominous presence she feels within the walls of his ancient estate—or the intimately familiar connection she feels to Stephen himself.
The last time he’d called Blackhope Hall home, Stephen had watched as his elder brother claimed both the family title and the woman he loved. Now, in the wake of his brother’s murder, Stephen has reluctantly returned to find his family ensconced in scandal. Who is responsible for his brother’s untimely death—a dark spirit or the psychic who claims to have channeled it? And what is it about psychic investigator Olivia Moreland that so thoroughly draws him in, reigniting a passion he hasn’t felt in years?
As they search for answers, Stephen and Olivia discover that the only way to fight a powerful evil is with a powerful love.
Buy this historical romance with paranormal elements for only $1.99 today.
Click here to purchase Mesmerized
Amazon’s Best Books of 2014
Amazon.com recently announced its selections for the Best Books of 2014.
Each year Amazon’s editors choose the Top 100 Books of the Year and Top 20 lists in more than two dozen categories. To see all the Best Books of 2014 visit here.
Here’s a look at the Top 10 editors’ picks for the year (all books are priced $5.99 or more):
1. Everything I Never Told You ($10.99) by Celeste Ng: Quiet and beautiful, this novel about an unknowable teenage girl in a mixed-race family in the 1970s Midwest will make you cry.
2. All the Light We Cannot See ($6.99) by Anthony Doerr: A beautiful, atmospheric story about two young people, one French, one German, growing up on the eve of World War II.
3. In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette ($10.99) by Hampton Sides: The ultimate adventure story, but with a touch of romance and intrigue. A historical The Perfect Storm.
4. The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League ($10.99) by Jeff Hobbs: At once extremely personal and culturally wise, this reported memoir will change the way you think about race, class and the meaning of friendship.
5. Redeployment ($10.99) by Phil Klay: Strong, brilliant stories about survival of something almost as dangerous as war itself–its aftermath.
6. Revival ($12.74) by Stephen King: The best kind of King book: a little horror, but mostly pitch-perfect details about youth and faith and family.
7. Savage Harvest: A Tale of Cannibals, Colonialism, and Michael Rockefeller’s Tragic Quest for Primitive Art ($9.99) by Carl Hoffman: The Rockefeller clan might not have wanted to believe it, but author Hoffman is convincing about what led to the scion’s death. It’s not pretty…but it IS fascinating.
8. The Book of Unknown Americans ($10.99) by Cristina Henríquez: Told in the many voices of the Latin American tenants of one apartment complex in Delaware, this novel illuminates several different kinds of immigrant experience.
9. Big Little Lies ($10.99) by Liane Moriarty: Moriarty dazzles with another novel about “ordinary” Australian families and the secrets they keep.
10. Station Eleven ($5.99) by Emily St. John Mandel: Set in the not-so-distant future, this apocalyptic novel is surprisingly hopeful in its depiction of a culture that both mocks and mourns its disappeared past.
Big Deal Sale Most Popular
Another Big Deal Sale is underway and runs through November 23. The three books below are the most popular books in the sale as of Wednesday evening. Pay $1.99 each for these sci-fi novels.
Twenty-five million years in the past, a clan of sentient, prehistoric big cats called “the Named” have their own language, traditions, and law. Led by Meoran, the Named herd horses and deer for food. They keep order and peace, fending off predatory raiders–the UnNamed–from all sides. But, the battle has taken its toll, and the Named are skirting the edge of survival.
Much to the displeasure of Meoran, a young female named Ratha discovers a powerful defense against the UnNamed. She calls it “the Red Tongue,” and it is a creature of incredible power. Red Tongue is fire, a force of both life and destruction that must be at once nurtured and tamed.
Sensing that Ratha’s mastery of fire threatens his power, Meoran banishes her from the clan. Will the Named survive constant attacks without the Red Tongue?
Buy this fantasy today for only 99 cents as it is the Open Road Media daily deal.
Click here to purchase Ratha’s Creature (The Named Book 1)
Augustine lives the perfect life in the Haven city of New Orleans. He rarely works a real job, spends most of his nights with a different human woman, and resides in a spectacular Garden District mansion paid for by retired movie star Olivia Goodwin, who has come to think of him as an adopted son, providing him room and board and whatever else he needs.
But when Augustine returns home to find Olivia’s been attacked by vampires, he knows his idyllic life has comes to an end. It’s time for revenge — and to take up the mantle of the city’s Guardian.
Then Olivia’s estranged daughter, Harlow, arrives. She hates being fae, but her powers are exactly what Augustine needs to catch the vampires. Can he convince her to help him in time? Or will the sparks between them send her running again?
Buy this urban fantasy today for only $1.99.
Click here to purchase House of the Rising Sun