Amazon is offering Kindle, tablets, and Fire TV at reduced prices for a limited time.
Buy the Kindle wi-fi only with Special Offers for $59; without Special Offers for $79.
Buy the Kindle Paperwhite wi-fi only with Special Offers for $99; all other models are selling for $20 off.
Buy the Fire HD 6 Tablet 6″ HD Display, Wi-Fi, Front and Rear Cameras, 8 GB or 16 GB starting at $79; all other models are selling for $20 off.
Buy the Fire HD 7 Tablet 7″ HD Display, Wi-Fi, Front and Rear Cameras, 8 GB or 16 GB starting at $114; all other models are selling for $25 off.
Buy the Kindle Fire HDX 7″ Table 7″ HDX Display, Wi-Fi, Optional 4G LTE Wireless, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB for $199; all other models are selling for $40 off.
Buy the Fire HD Kids Edition Tablet Fire HD 6 or 7 Tablet, 8 GB, 1 Year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, 2-Year Worry-Free Guarantee, Kid-Proof Protective Case for $159. You save $30.
Amazon Fire TV Streaming 1080p media player with voice search, Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, games, and more for $79 – a savings of $20.
The Fire TV Stick isn’t on sale, but at $39 it is a great price. And a great gift too.
You might be able to save $40 on a new Prime membership or renewal. This deal is not working for everyone–sometimes Amazon offers deals to a mailing list and not everyone will “qualify.” Hat tip: Maria at Bear Mountain Books for telling us about this deal.
The basic deal is: Buy any Kindle e-reader and get $40 dollar off a Prime membership or renewal – read below how it works for renewals.
It’s a bundle deal – you have to buy the Kindle to get $40 off Prime. If you already have Prime, the deals are different: Rumor is that other deals are offered in place of the prime offer (20% off a Kindle in some cases, $40 off some Kindles, or something similar). For me, if I buy the $79 Kindle model, I can save $40 on Prime. The $79 device is the only one I do not own. . . but will make a nice gift.
If you’ve been thinking of getting Prime for free shipping of your holiday gifts, try this link for Kindle e-readers.
After you click, look for the orange bar right above the Kindle description – it may read to add both a Kindle and a Prime membership to your cart at the same time and get $40 off. If the orange bar isn’t on the $79 model, try clicking on the Voyage and/or Paperwhite.
If you do not have Prime, follow this link to add it to your cart then purchase your Kindle e-reader.
If you already have Prime and wish to give the membership to yourself (renew through the gift rather than renew automatically) follow these steps:
First step, turn off auto-renewal:
Go here — Manage Your Prime Membership
Click — End Membership
Click — End Membership one more time
Click — End Later (that’s the date it’s currently set to expire)
Now buy the Kindle and Prime together:
You can give the gift of Prime to yourself.
Go to Give the gift of Prime
Select date you want Prime delivered to your inbox – usually the day after your current membership expires
Click — Add Prime to Cart
Then go to the Kindle Store to select the qualifying Kindle and add to your cart. Follow the usual purchasing steps. If you choose the slower shipping option, you will get a $1 credit to buy Kindle or print books. You now have a Kindle to give (or keep) and your Prime membership has been renewed at a great savings.
Note: Both items must be purchased together to get the $40 discount.
Note: The $40 discount will appear in the final ordering step as shown in the graphic at left. My Prime was set to renew on December 3 so this is a great time for me to buy a Kindle and save $40.
Why I like Paperwhite but still want a Voyage
For awhile, I (Susan) used the Kindle Fire as my primary reading device. The Fire is perfect for surfing the web, checking email and playing games. I also enjoyed reading on it. The highlighting feature in different colors and the variety of settings for the background (the off-white background makes for perfect reading) are useful features for reading.
Then I bought a Paperwhite last fall. And reading was back! The Paperwhite is really designed for one purpose – reading – and it does it well. It’s easy to hold and easy to see. Plus, I don’t get distracted by Facebook or games as can happen when I’m on the Fire. It’s great that I can turn on a reading lamp, but don’t have to if I don’t want.
With all of its good qualities, there are two minor things about the Paperwhite that bug me.
1. To turn a page, you must swipe your finger across the screen.
Maybe not a big deal, but it requires two hands to read. The original Kindle (remember back that far?) had this wonderful button on the side of the device where a gentle push of your thumb turned the page. The button made it easy to hold the Kindle in one hand and keep the other propped under your head or tucked beneath the covers on a cold night.
2. The type size is impossible to get just right.
The Paperwhite has 8 font sizes from which to choose. The first three are suitable only for fine print on legal contracts. Seriously – why even bother with so many tiny fonts? Those on the larger end of the scale are perfect for people who have vision impairment or just prefer a larger size. But that leaves me – and probably the majority of readers – somewhere between too small and too big. It’s like jumping from 8 point type to 14 point, when a 10 or 12 point would be best.
That’s why I was excited to see that the new Kindle Voyage has a “retro” feature – you can turn page without lifting a finger. According to the product description: Simply apply pressure on the bezel to turn the page, and PagePress will provide a silent haptic response for consistent and immediate feedback. Finally, Kindle is back to where it began with page turning! Plus, it still has the touch screen option.
I haven’t seen a Voyage yet, but I hope on this device created specifically for reading, the type size has more options. The automatic light sensor also looks like a promising feature.
I have not jumped off into the Voyage yet, thinking I may let the early adopters work out a few bugs before I bite.
Free app review – Township
There are a handful of games I (Susan) enjoy playing on the Kindle Fire.
A new one I discovered is Township (free). It’s like similar farming games. You get a small town and plant crops, then feed animals, harvest and make products in factories.
Township is nice in that I can play as much as I want without feeling obligated to log in every day. It doesn’t require having a bunch of friends who also play (or letting everyone on Facebook know how much time I waste feeding imaginary sheep). It’s not cluttered with a bunch of ads, although sometimes I can earn extra “Township bucks” by watching a one-minute ad.
What makes this app really enjoyable is the exquisite detail. In my little town, residents walk the streets and if you click on them they do actions. A cop will munch on a doughnut or a skateboarder perform a flip. I even observed a biker and scooter rider crash and the ambulance showed up on the scene. When I pan over the ocean, there is the sound of waves.
It’s still free on Kindle if you’d like to start your own township!
Cheap Reads – Legends of Muirwood Trilogy – Fantasies for $1.99 each
The Wretched of Muirwood ($1.99 Audiobook $1.99) In the ancient and mystical land of Muirwood, Lia has known only a life of servitude. Labeled a “wretched,” an outcast unwanted and unworthy of respect, Lia is forbidden to realize her dream to read or write. But when an injured squire named Colvin is abandoned at the kitchen’s doorstep, an opportunity arises.
The Blight of Muirwood ($1.99 Audiobook $1.99) Lia finds herself filled with inner turmoil after the great battle of Winterrowd that led to the death of the wicked king and her closest ally. Lia is called to be an official protector of Muirwood Abbey and is charged to employ her magic to defend Ellowyn Demont, the lost heir of the fallen kingdom of Pry-Ree.
The Scourge of Muirwood ($1.99 Audiobook $1.99) When a deadly plague is unleashed in the land of Muirwood, the fate of the world is placed in the hands of a young woman named Lia. The revelation will force Lia to choose between the lives of her closest friends and her deepest desires…
Seventh generation of Kindle now available to pre-order
Late yesterday Amazon introduced the 7th generation of Kindle: Kindle Voyage, the most advanced e-reader ever, and the new $79 Kindle, with a 20% faster processor, twice the storage, and now with a touch interface. Both devices are available to pre-order now with delivery beginning next month.
Kindle ($79 with Special Orders/$99 without – pre-order today with delivery beginning October 2) Wi-Fi only.
• Touchscreen display that reads like real paper—no screen glare, even in bright sunlight
• Exclusive Kindle features—now includes Goodreads integration, Kindle FreeTime, Vocabulary Builder, Word Wise (coming soon), and more
• Double the on-device storage—holds thousands of books
• Page turns fly with a 20% faster processor
Kindle Voyage (Starting at $199 wi-fi only with Special Offers up to $289 wi-fi +3G without Special Offers – Pre-order today for delivery beginning October 21) Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Free 3G
• High-resolution 300 ppi display—reads even more like the printed page
• Reimagined page turns—PagePress enables you to turn the page without lifting a finger
• New adaptive front light—provides ideal brightness, day or night
• Our thinnest Kindle ever
• Battery lasts weeks, not hours
Click on graphic at left and scroll down for a better view of the Voyager’s features.
Amazon announces three new Kindle Fire Tablets
Introducing the All-New Fire HD 6 Tablet –The Most Powerful Tablet Under $100
(Starting at $99 for 8GB with Special Offers up to $134 for 16GB without Special Offers – Pre-order today for delivery beginning October 2) Wi-fi only.
• Beautiful 6″ HD display—Crisp, vivid HD display (252 ppi / 1280×800) with over a million pixels—perfect for apps, movies, TV, games, photos, and more
• Front and rear cameras—Take photos or capture videos in 1080p HD with a rear-facing camera or Skype with a front-facing camera. Plus, free unlimited storage in Cloud Drive for photos taken with Fire devices
• Best selection of digital content—Enjoy over 33 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, Android apps and games—including Facebook, Netflix, Minecraft, and more
• Great for the whole family—Create unique profiles and set screen time limits for kids with Amazon FreeTime. Coming soon, link two Amazon accounts and share books, games, apps, and Prime Instant Video content across all devices in the household.
Introducing the All-New Fire HDX 8.9 Tablet–Higher Performance, Exclusive New Audio, the Fastest Wi-Fi, and Still Startlingly Light with a Stunning HDX Display
(Starting at $379 for 16GB with Special Offers up to $494 for 64GB without Special Offers – Pre-order today for delivery beginning October 21) Wi-fi only.
You can pre-order 4G LTE-enabled devices also – priced at $529 to $594.
• Exclusive 8.9″ HDX display—With 30% more pixels than iPad Air’s Retina display, Amazon’s exclusive HDX display (2560×1600) features exceptional pixel density (over 4 million pixels, 339 ppi) for vivid, lifelike images
• Incredibly light design—Weighing just 13.2 ounces, Fire HDX 8.9 is 20% lighter than iPad Air
• Ultrafast 2.5 GHz quad-core processor—70% faster graphics performance with 2GB of RAM and Adreno 420 GPU for quicker gaming and smoother video
• Rich, multi-dimensional audio—Twice as loud as iPad Air, with crisp, clear sound and no distortion. Plus, the first tablet with Dolby Atmos for a new headphone experience
• Firefly and Mayday—Quickly identify and take action on over 100 million items with Firefly. Get free, live video support with an Amazon expert, 24×7, 365 days a year with Mayday
• 8MP rear-facing camera with LED flash for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, plus a front-facing 720p HD camera for video calls and more. Free unlimited storage in Cloud Drive for photos taken with Fire devices
Introducing Fire HD Kids Edition Tablet –The Kids Tablet That Has it All, Including the First-Ever 2-Year Worry-Free Guarantee.
($149 6” display/$189 7” display – Pre-order today for delivery beginning October 21) NOTE: Cannot find information regarding wi-fi capability.
• A real tablet, not a toy—A quad-core processor for great performance, a vivid HD display, front and rear-facing cameras, and Dolby Digital Audio
• Built for even the toughest kids—Enjoy the peace of mind with an unprecedented 2-year worry-free guarantee—if they break it, we’ll replace it for free. No questions asked
• Don’t worry about the bill—The Kids Edition includes a year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited so kids get unlimited access to 5,000 books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games—at no additional cost.
• Best-in-class parental controls—Create individual profiles for each of your children. Personalize screen time limits, educational goals, and age-appropriate content
• Kid-Proof Case—Durable, lightweight case to protect against drops and bumps caused by kids at play.
• Comes in blue, green or pink.
Amazon Local is offering a free coupon worth $50 off a Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9″.
A 16BG device with special offers would be $149 after applying the coupon.
A 32BG device with special offers would be $179 after applying the coupon.
A Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire is a pre-owned Kindle Fire that has been refurbished, tested, and certified to look and work like new.
What You Need to Know:
• Issued by Amazon Digital Services
• This coupon will be automatically applied to your Amazon.com account; please do not place your Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire order until you have received an e-mail from Amazon Local confirming that your coupon has been applied. The credit may not apply to orders placed prior to the receipt of this confirmation
• Coupon expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) June 13, 2014
• Limit 1 coupon per customer; limited quantities available
• Many, many more things you need to know are on the Amazon Local. Read the complete list.
Fire TV ($99.00) is a tiny box that plugs into your HDTV. It’s the easiest way to enjoy Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, low-cost video rentals, and more. With instant access to over 200,000 TV episodes and movies, plus all your favorite subscriptions and streaming services, you can watch what you want, when you want. If you’re a Prime member, you get unlimited access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including exclusives like Downton Abbey, The Americans, Alpha House, and Under the Dome.
Fire TV has voice search that actually works. The old way of searching with a TV remote—scrolling and clicking one letter at a time on an alphabet grid—is painful. With Fire TV you simply speak the title, actor, or genre into the remote and you’re done.
Fire TV may be tiny on the outside, but it has huge hardware specs on the inside. It has a powerful quad-core processor, dedicated GPU, 2 GB of memory, and dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi. With a fast, fluid interface, high definition 1080p video, and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, Fire TV looks—and sounds—amazing. We also added an exclusive new feature called ASAP that predicts what movies and TV episodes you’ll want to watch and gets them ready to stream instantly. No one likes waiting for videos to buffer.
As a bonus, we also added games. With Fire TV you can play blockbuster titles like Minecraft, The Walking Dead, Monsters University, the Amazon exclusive Sev Zero, plus great free games. There are over a hundred titles to explore, with thousands more coming soon. These games are a great value—the average price of paid games is only $1.85.
Buy the Amazon Fire Game Controller for $39.99 when you order Fire TV. Get 1,000 Amazon Coins and Sev Zero When You Buy an Amazon Fire Game Controller – details here.
Amazon’s video-streaming device coming soon
According to people close to Amazon’s plans, the company will begin shipping its long-awaited video-streaming device sometime in early April. In addition to carrying Amazon’s Instant Video, the device will carry multiple apps for Roku (Netflix, Hulu Plus and Pandora) and Apple set-top boxes and also run Android software.
Amazon has not announced pricing but people familiar with the company’s plans said that the device will likely come with incentives for Prime members.
Other reports from people familiar with the matter say that Amazon has talked with record companies and music publishers with plans to create an on-demand music-streaming service for Prime customers.
We’ll let you know the details when the device becomes available so you can purchase one.
Inspirational fiction fans
This Saturday’s Kindle Daily Deal will be a great opportunity to fill your Kindle for summer reading. Inspirational/Christian fiction by favorite authors will be selling at great prices. I can’t tell you more, but be sure to swing by the site Saturday and link to the great reads at cheap prices. That’s two days from now – Saturday, March 22.
$20 Instant Credit Toward a New Kindle
For a limited time you can get a $20 instant credit toward a new Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite or
Kindle Paperwhite 3G.
You can also get an Amazon gift card when you trade in your old e-reader. You might receive as much as $68.30 for your Kindle Paperwhite 3G. Amazon doesn’t place as much value on Nook, Sony, or Kobo e-readers. Amazon is only paying $15 for one of those.
Read all about the credit, trading in your old e-reader, and more on this webpage.
These three small town romances are selling for $1.99 each today.
Trinity Falls ($1.99) Ean Fever is burned out by the hectic pace of New York City and his cutthroat law career. Longing for a sense of community, he’s returned to his hometown of Trinity Falls, Ohio. Maybe he can even help save the Town Center from greedy developers looking to destroy its small businesses—like Books & Bakery, owned by Megan McCloud. Megan was once an awkward girl next door, but Ean discovers she’s grown into a strong-willed, beautiful woman…
Crazy Little Thing Called Love ($1.99) Etta Green kissed Everson, Texas, goodbye years ago. A big city chef, she intends to return only long enough to settle her beloved grandmother’s estate and then hightail it back to Chicago. But Grammy Hazel had other plans. In her will, she left Etta part-ownership of a B&B that’s about to go bankrupt before it even opens. And what’s worse–Etta’s partner is Donny Joe Ledbetter, a handsome devil with some serious bad boy charm.
Welcome to Last Chance ($1.99) Yes, our town is way off the beaten path, but strange, wonderful miracles happen a lot around here.
I’ve owned the Cut ‘n’ Curl beauty shop for years, and I’ve seen folks come for a visit, then stay for a lifetime. Take Jane-that pretty firecracker of a girl who just arrived in town. I would swear she’s running from something. She came with only five dollars in her pocket but she’s worked real hard to make a fresh start. She’s turned my son Clay’s life upside down without even realizing it.
Now is the time to buy a Kindle for your child, your spouse, or even a spare for yourself.
Kindle e-readers are designed for people who love to read. Unlike tablets, Kindle e-readers are purpose-built with no distractions so you can indulge your love of reading without interruptions. Today only, get $20 off Kindle and Kindle Paperwhite. Buy the Kindle 6″wi-fi with Special Offers for $49 or the Kindle Paperwhite wi-fi with built-in light and Special Offers for $99. You can buy without Special Offers for an additional $20.
Save Kindle Fire HDX tablets. Choose Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ or Kindle Fire HDX 7″ with a perfect-color HDX display, ultra-fast processor, and the revolutionary “Mayday” button.
Kindle Fire HDX 7″ (Starting at $199) Perfect-color HDX display, plus powerful quad-core processor for fast, fluid performance and immersive entertainment.
• Exclusive 7″ HDX display (1920×1200), high pixel density (323 PPI), and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB)
• The fastest processor on a 7″ tablet—powerful 2.2GHz quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM for fast, fluid multi-tasking, gaming, and video
• Introducing the “Mayday” button—revolutionary, on-device tech support, exclusive to Kindle Fire HDX tablets. Connect for free to an Amazon expert 24×7, 365 days a year
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ (Starting at $339) Startlingly light large-screen tablet, with stunning HDX display, ultra-fast performance, and front and rear cameras
• Exclusive 8.9″ HDX display (2560×1600) with unsurpassed pixel density (339 PPI) and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB) for vivid, lifelike images that go beyond standard HD
• Breakthrough ultra-light design—weighing just 13.2oz, it’s 34% lighter than the previous generation
• Ultra-fast 2.2GHz quad-core processor—3x more powerful than previous generation—with 2GB of RAM and Adreno 330 GPU for fast, fluid gaming and video
Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ Tablet (Starting at $189) Large 8.9″ display, with rich color and deep contrast; ideal for movies, apps, and gaming
• Custom Dolby audio and dual stereo speakers for crisp, rich sound
• Over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, and audiobooks
• Instant access to over 100,000 apps and games in the Amazon Appstore, including a new paid app for free every day
• Ultra-fast web browsing and streaming with built-in dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi
• Front-facing HD camera for taking photos or making video calls
For the ninth consecutive year, customers ranked Amazon #1 in customer satisfaction during the holiday shopping season according to the newly-released ForeSee Experience Index: US Retail Edition. As a thank you to customers for the continued support, Amazon is taking $30 off Kindle Fire tablets.
Kindle Fire HD 7″Tablet ( Starting at $109) 7″ HD Display, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi, 16GB or 32GB.
Kindle Fire HDX 7″ Tablet (Starting at $199) 7″ HDX Display, Wi-Fi, Optional 4G LTE Wireless, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ Tablet ( Starting at $199) 8.9″ HD display, 16 or 32GB with Wi-Fi, 32GB or 64GB with 4G LTE Wireless
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ Tablet ( Starting at $349) 8.9″ HDX Display, Wi-Fi, Optional 4G LTE Wireless, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
Enter promotional code MAYDAY30 at checkout—our thanks to customers for voting Amazon #1 in customer satisfaction 9 years running.
Limit one discount per customer, while supplies last. U.S. customers only. Discount valid on all versions of Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9″, Kindle Fire HDX, and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ tablets sold and shipped by Amazon Digital Services. It does not apply to the same products sold by other sellers. Amazon reserves the right to cancel the promotion at any time. Promo code applies to the lowest priced qualifying item and may not be combined with other offers. If you return items purchased using a promo code, we will subtract the value of the discount from your return credit. Offer expires January 11, 11:59 PM PST. Offer not valid with 1-Click ordering. Void where prohibited.